Take pictures through your telescope with a camera to telescope adapter. Instead of buying one, you can 3D print it easily.
If own a telescope or plan to buy one, you probably want to share your hobby in the form of some awesome pictures. All you need is something to connect a camera to your telescope. There are cameras made specifically for that purpose, but most of them are pretty expensive. Especially if you already own a DSLR camera.
So why not 3D print your camera to telescope adapter?
There are some good solutions out there to choose from. So finding a fitting adapter won’t be as difficult as figuring out the right camera settings.
If you don’t have access to a 3D printer, you still should read on. All of the items here can be printed professionally by a 3D printing service. You can find all the information here.
Camera to Telescope Adapters For Canon DSLR’s
As long as the adapter is for a Canon EF mount, it should work with all recent DSLR models from Canon.
- It won’t take an hour to 3D print the EF Mount Module to 1.25-inch telescope focusing adapter.
- If you need a smaller eyepiece, the 3D printed Canon SLR to 0.965″ Focuser adapter might work for you.
- If you own a Meade telescope, this Canon DSLR to telescope 1,25″ eyepiece adapter should work for you.
Camera to Telescope Adapters For Nikon DSLR’s
Of course there is something for Nikon users also.
- The 3D printed Nikon DSLR to telescope adapter is made for Nikon´s F-mount and fits on a 1,25″ telescope eyepiece.
- Specially made for Orion telescopes, the Nikon DSLR adapter claims to allow better focusing. Try it yourself and see which one fits better on your star watching device.
Camera to Telescope Adapters For Sonys DSLR’s and Mirrorless Cameras
Meade telescopes are popular among 3D printer users.
- The Meade telescope to Sony FE/E-mount Adapter enables you to use a mirrorless Sony camera for astrophotography. It’s a nicer solution than putting the full weight of a DSLR on the telescope which could have enough leverage to affect its stability.
- Alternatively, this one was made for an Orion 6″ Dobson with 750mm focal length.
- A more and more commonly used mount is the Micro Four Thirds mount, dominating the market alongside Sony’s E-mounts. So if you have a camera with one, the m4/3 to 1.25 inch adapter for astrophotography will make your day- or better, your night.
Other 3D printable Telescope Adapters
You don’t own one of the previously listed camera types? there are plenty more options to start with astrophotography.
- You may think you need a sophisticated cam, but you can try any compact camera. Simply print out the camera mount for telescopes and adjust it so the image gets in focus.
- Open Source fans own a RaspberryPi Cam already. This cam is also usable for astrophotography with a RaspberryPi Camera telescope mount from your 3D printer.
One more thing… if you don´t own a telescope yet, but can’t wait to get one for a start in astrophotography, I´d recommend taking a look at the Printonian, a 3D printed telescope.
(Images: Pixabay, Thingiverse)
License: The text of "3D Print a Camera to Telescope Adapter for Nikon, Sony, Canon" by All3DP is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.